Overlapping icons

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
ratty

Overlapping icons

Postby ratty » 30.11.2006 20:17:15

Hello. Great product! Thank you, guys.

I run WinXP Pro/SP2. I have got Dexpot configured to have only two screens.
You can see more details of my settings lower down in this post.

-----------

PROBLEM 1
The situation is that I have an icon on Desktop1 and a different icon in the same position in Desktop2.

When I use the hotkey to copy one of those icons from Desktop1 to Desktop2,
then one icon completely overlaps the other on Desktop2.

PROBLEM 2
When I close Dexpot by selecting only Desktop1, all the icons in Desktop2
which are in the same position as some icons in Desktop1 will not be visible.

In fact, some icons from Desktop2 are completely invisible on the standard desktop
until I set Align To Grid on the standard desktop. But then the positions are all a mess!

Could you kindly advise me how to avoid this. Maybe I need to work in a different way?

Below you can see my settings.
Thank you for any help.
Ratty

============ MY SETTINGS =============

I have saved the icon positions in my Dexpot profile to be the way I like them to be when I work.

This means that some icons on Desktop1 overlap those on Desktop2 in my saved configuration.
Of course, if I use the Hotkey for Restore Icons then it does not help.

----

I have got the following selected in the Dexpot Settings dialog.

(a) In Appearance:
I have got with 'One Icon Per Desktop'

(b) In Switching Desktops > Desktop Elements > Icons:
I have got 'Customize desktop icons',
I have got 'Align To Grid'
I have got 'Use Move And Copy Hotkeys To Distribute The Icons'

(c) In Switching Desktops > Desktop Elements > Background:
I have got 'Customize Background' ,
I have got 'Apply Manual Changes To Dexpot Configuration'

========= END OF MY SETTINGS ==========

Nebel
Beta Tester

Postby Nebel » 30.11.2006 21:46:35

Hello :dex:

1. Is the windows "Align To Grid" deactivated? Has to be!
2. Save your profile to another name as "Default". Every time you restart your PC or Dexpot, this profile is replaced with a default Dexpot configuration.

PROBLEM 2

Normaly only the icons of the current Desktop are visible when you close Dexpot. Icons from other Desktops will be visible, when you start Dexpot again.

PROBLEM 1
The situation is that I have an icon on Desktop1 and a different icon in the same position in Desktop2.

Move the overlaping icon to another position on the Desktop 2 by drag & drop.
When all Icons are visible, save your profile to another name as "Default".

Regards
Schöne Grüße
Nebel

ratty

Postby ratty » 01.12.2006 13:17:15

Nebel wrote:1. Is the windows "Align To Grid" deactivated? Has to be!

Align to grid is not activated. When I am in the standard XP desktop (in other words with no Dexpot running, then I do like to have "Align To Grid" set on). But as soon as I launch Dexpot then Dexpot unsets "Align To Grid" for all its windows and I leave it like that.

Nebel wrote:2. Save your profile to another name as "Default". Every time you restart your PC or Dexpot, this profile is replaced with a default Dexpot configuration.

I am sorry but I am not clear what you mean.

However I will tell youi what I have done .... I created a profile called 'GS' (without the quotes) and after I have made changes to my Dexpot configuration or to the layout of the icons on the Dexpot desktops then I go to Settings > General > Profiles and press the SAVE button. Later on I will exit Dexpot and then on another occassion when I restart Dexpot, I find that this GS profile is loaded. (I do not have Show List Of Profiles On Startup set.)

Is this what you were suggesting? Or is there something else you are trying to suggest? As I said, I am sorry but I am not exactly clear what you were asking.

Nebel wrote:
Ratty wrote:PROBLEM 2

Normaly only the icons of the current Desktop are visible when you close Dexpot. Icons from other Desktops will be visible, when you start Dexpot again.

Yes I understand and get the same result as you say.

But what I do before I exit is move the icons from any other Dexpot windows using the Dexpot Hotkey or the Dexpot "Desktop Windows" dialog so that the icons are all in the main window. Then I close Dexpot. This is where the overlapping happens!

I do this because I may not always be running Dexpot when my PC is on but I would like to see certain icons from the multiple Dexpot windows at all times.

Nebel wrote:
Ratty wrote:PROBLEM 1

Move the overlaping icon to another position on the Desktop 2 by drag & drop.
When all Icons are visible, save your profile to another name as "Default".

That suggestion you make would work EXCEPT that I have so many icons! That is actually why I installed Dexpot in the first place: to manage all the icons. If I have all the icons on my non-Dexpot desktop then it would be totally overcrowded!

Thank you if you are able to answer my questions here. :wink:

Ratty

Return to “Support”