Desktop preview & Dexcube help

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Max Power

Desktop preview & Dexcube help

Postby Max Power » 12.07.2010 01:25:30

Hi first things first, this is now my favorite program! Great job guys, but I having 2 problems:

1. I use the desktop preview on auto-hide above the system tray, but sometimes it falls behind the taskbar. I have made a rule to keep it always on top, but that doesn't seem to be working at all.

2. When I use dexcube, there is a quick white flash right before the next desktop loads. This happens to different degrees. Sometimes almost not even noticeable and others it is so bad, I have to turn dexcube off. I have the newest video drivers and mutltithreading on seems to make it constantly bad.

Any ideas at all I'd be willing to try. I'd hate to stop using this great program because of minor issues. Thanks again.

Max Power

Re: Desktop preview & Dexcube help

Postby Max Power » 12.07.2010 01:32:12

There is 1 quick question I forgot to ask. Is there any settings to make the windows 7 taskbar universal for all desktops? So all open programs would show on all desktops at the same time. Then clicking a program would bring you to the desktop it is open on. If not, I and I'm sure others would feel that would be an ideal way to use windows 7's great new taskbar and this great program together.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 16.07.2010 12:00:04

Hi. :dex:

Max Power wrote:I use the desktop preview on auto-hide above the system tray, but sometimes it falls behind the taskbar. I have made a rule to keep it always on top, but that doesn't seem to be working at all.

Yes, that's a known problem. Would you prefer the preview window to integrate directly into the taskbar?

When I use dexcube, there is a quick white flash right before the next desktop loads. This happens to different degrees. Sometimes almost not even noticeable and others it is so bad, I have to turn dexcube off.

Do you use Firefox?

Max Power

Postby Max Power » 19.07.2010 22:32:02

The preview window integrated into the taskbar is not a bad idea at all. Also, I don't know if this would even be possible, but it would be awesome if you could have 2 instances of the preview running. What I have in mind is one always on top with the taskbar and icons & a second much larger with on the desktop. The one on the desktop would would be an actual preview of the desktops with wallpapers and all. I know thats asking for a bunch, but I just wanted to plant the seed in your head. :mrgreen: Here is a pic of the desktop preview I am thinking of: (It's on the bottom left)

Yes I do use Firefox, but at this point I have turned off Dexcube to speedup desktop switching. Do you believe the white flash has to do with with the web browser?

Thanks for your reply!

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 19.07.2010 23:10:18

Max Power wrote:The preview window integrated into the taskbar is not a bad idea at all.

Then you might want to check out the new Taskbar Pager plugin that comes with Dexpot 1.5.5.

Here is a pic of the desktop preview I am thinking of: (It's on the bottom left)

Isn't that basically what the SevenDex plugin does?

Yes I do use Firefox, but at this point I have turned off Dexcube to speedup desktop switching. Do you believe the white flash has to do with with the web browser?

Firefox can cause a white flash when redrawing itself every time you switch to a desktop where a Firefox window is on top.

Max Power

Postby Max Power » 19.07.2010 23:37:31

First, wow! You are awesome how fast you reply. lol

I just updated & tried the taskbar pager. It's great I only wish that it was a little configurable. With the option to size, anyone could be able to see all the current icons of a desktop instead of only the active one. Other than that 1 thing it is exactly what I needed. Thx!

Unfortunately I don't have Aero enabled on my desktop so I never even realized that you had a plugin that would do that. Your program is even cooler than I realized. I guess what I was thinking of was something more akin to a rainmeter widget that would always be on the desktop, but as I said before, I was just dreaming out loud not actually expecting you to implement it. lol

Lastly, I still have the white flash with no windows open, but I do use a program called DesktopEarth which uses the internet as a wallpaper on 1 of the desktops. I will disable that and continue to test this issue for you guys.

Speaking of wallpapers, I just noticed that sometimes the large wallpapers set to Fill, get switched to Tile instead. I will remove the DesktopEarth program and see if this is connected to that as well.

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 21.07.2010 23:24:46

Greetings Max Power.

I think I will step forward a bit here, since you mentioned Rainmeter.
We are working diligently to bring the great functionality of Rainmeter and Dexpot together.

This is a concept skin only designed off of the Command Line specifications of Dexpot.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016357/Rainmeter%20Dexpot%20Skin/Dexpot%20Bar.zip
You are welcome to utilize this.

Most recently; Rainmeter has release a 1.3 Beta, that is available with a New DLL that works with Dexpot (Thanks to the folks here for their programming talent, expertise, and willingness to collaborate)
We have just scratched the surface on testing, as my time has recently been very limited, but so far works like a champ.

A preliminary skin that based on the new DLL and with minimal capabilities of the DLL I have developed a faster and more resource friendly update of a portion of the skin set

The following is from a test run and is fully workable at maybe less that 10% of what the new DLL has made available for Rainmeter skinning.
Again remember this is in Beta and is still being tested, but is stable as far as I can tell after several 100 hundred hours of testing ;)

________________________________________________________________________________
after much agony, and many trial and error things.
I have converted the sample 4 VD Skin code to work solely with the new plugin.

You can download and replace the equivalently named file in the appropriate file that matches the name.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016357/Rainmeter%20Dexpot%20Skin/Top%2004VD%20Large.zip

Top 4VD Large

Code: Select all

;===========================================
;      Dexpot Collaboration Skin
;===========================================

[Rainmeter]
;Author=SGT. E. V. McKay (aka. The Sarge)
;originally Inspired by a collaboration project between Dexpot and Rainmeter
;Great thanks goes out to jsmorley, SPX, JamesAC, DragonMage, and so many more
;with out them, I could never have completed this.
;Special Thanks to the Rainmeter community members
;without whom my resolve may have broken
;Thanks for your patience and not getting too frustrated with me.

;LocalFont=
AppVersion=1000000
;Update=
Author=Sgt. E. V. McKay

;---------------------->Need Help<----------------------------
;You can find help at the Rainmeter forums at:
;http://www.rainmeter.net/forum
;I can be found at the forums quite regularaly
;We are always welcome to receive your questions.
;Come by and be a part of the Rainmeter Community :D
;Rainmeter community is also now accepting donations!
;--------------------------------------------------------------

[Variables]

;==============================================================
;      Enter the Virtual Desktop Manager you are utilizing
;==============================================================

;This skin is designed to work with Dexpot, but may also work with Virtuawin.
;Enter the name of the Virtual Desktop Manager/Software that you are using
;Below, after the equals ( = ) sign

VDM=Dexpot

;============================(Skin Measures)===================================

[SwitchDesktop]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=VirtualDesktops.dll
VDManager=#VDM#
VDMeasureType=SwitchDesktop

[DexpotCommand]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=VirtualDesktops.dll
VDManager=#VDM#
VDMeasureType=Command

;=============================(Skin Meters)====================================

[Top Left Bracket]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=TopLeft.png
Path=../TopGraphics/
X=0
Y=0

[Previous Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/PreviousButtonL.png
X=86r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /prev"]

[Screen Preview Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/FullScreenPreviewButtonL.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /V"]

[Catalog Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/WindowsCatalogButtonL.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /d"]

[Back Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/BackButtonL.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /back"]

[Virtual Desktop 1]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/Button01L.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "SwitchDesktop 1"]

[Virtual Desktop 2]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/Button02L.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "SwitchDesktop 2"]

[Virtual Desktop 3]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/Button03L.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "SwitchDesktop 3"]

[Virtual Desktop 4]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/Button04L.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "SwitchDesktop 4"]

[Settings Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/SettingsButtonL.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /e"]

[Configure Desktop Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/ConfigureDesktopButtonL.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /k"]

[Dsektop Rules Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/DesktopRulesButtonL.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /g"]

[Next Button]
Meter=Button
ButtonImage=../TopGraphics/NextButtonL.png
X=24r
Y=0
ButtonCommand=!Execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "DexpotCommand /next"]

[Top Right Bracket]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=TopRight.png
Path=../TopGraphics/
X=24r
Y=0

I will continue adding functionality to this Concept skin, and testing, but I want to be extremely thorough as I move forward, so technically this skis has yet to be released :roll:
This is also my very first complete from scratch, ground up skin, complete with my own built graphics. So I want to be absolutely sure it works with all the capabilities that Patrick and Sebastian have offered in the new plugin, before I go full release on this skin

Hopefully this has not only been of help, but also excites the appetite :wink:

Regards the Sarge

Max Power

Postby Max Power » 22.07.2010 04:43:16

Well, it was definitely the Desktop Earth program causing the white flashes with DexCube and I think it was also responsible for the wallpapers reverting to tile as well. Too bad, neat little wallpaper program, but I think it's easy to say Dexpot wins that battle. lol

The Sarge, in 1 word, wow. I love your entire desktop! Thanks for the Rainmeter/Dexpot config. If you would be willing I'd love to try out all of your Rainmeter configs. Your concept and the organization of everything together is just beautiful. Lastly that wallpaper is stunning. Where did you get it from?

Thanks to all the developers and The Sarge as well.

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 22.07.2010 15:24:59

Greetings

I figured that I would possibly get your attention.
The Wallpaper is a modification of the following work:
http://sgtevmckay.deviantart.com/#/d2t54e8
I have yet to get full permission to acquire as a Wallpaper, but there is no restriction listed with the work, and the DevART folks are fairly clear on this :cool:

The rest of what you see is modified works of HUD Vision:
http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/58074
And other skins. None of which I have completed for a release.

Except the weather skin that is in Bet at the top Below the Dexpot skin.
http://sgtevmckay.deviantart.com/art/Visions-Weather-by-The-Sarge-158056907?q=&qo=

I am trying to acquire the developer of HUD Vision's permission in order to release my revamped and updated version of HUD Vision.
If you attempt to download HUD Vision, it may be detected as a virus, it is a false positive and completely safe. I place my Reputation on the download being clean.

I need to get some video capture of what is happening on the other 3 screens.
There is so much more here than what you see ;)

As a small final teaser;
You may be interested in previewing what is happening here ;)
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2512

Hope this helps

Regards
The Sarge

Return to “Support”