Dexpot Rules and a multi-window app - How Do I?

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Peregrine

Dexpot Rules and a multi-window app - How Do I?

Postby Peregrine » 28.08.2010 17:29:43

Hi,
I am running Dexpot with 4 desktops on a dual monitor Win 7 Ultimate x64 system and it is working great.

My issue is with rules. I have a mission critical application that I use every day and it works by creating multiple windows on startup. Each is independent of the other, except the main window will close all others on exit. I split these windows over 3 virtual desktops when I am working.

Here is the challenge, when I first open the application in the AM it spawns all of the windows to the Window 1 virtual desktop. I then have to move them to the right desktops one by one. I have tried creating Desktop Rules to move them to the correct screen, but there are issues creating rules that will work;
1. Condition: Executable - Applies to every window the application opens and moves them all per the rule (Obviously as it should per definition) - Outcome: Not what I want

2. Condition: Window Class - Applies to every window the application opens and moves them all per the rule (Obviously no difference in their classes) - Outcome: Not what I want

3. Condition: Window Title - Two problems here:
....A. My window titles are created by the application and I have NO control over them
....B. The titles contain "today's date" and so a rule is good for ONLY 1 day
....C. Two of the windows, even though they are visually different, get created with the same name and I want the two on different desktops.

Again, not working as I hope.

SO, my problem... Is there a way to create rules using just PART OF THE TITLE?? i.e. wildcard characters??
If not, can anyone tell me a way I can get this done that I am over looking?

Thanks a lot!

Sebastian
Developer

Re: Dexpot Rules and a multi-window app - How Do I?

Postby Sebastian » 30.08.2010 12:19:01

:dex:,

I don't see a way how you could do that with Desktop Rules as they're now.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Return to “Support”