one of the best virtual desktop but it can be even better

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.

one of the best virtual desktop but it can be even better

Postby Guest » 19.05.2010 23:28:56

hi
i really like this program but i used to have problem with resolution and you ended up fixing it neatly in the last version.

I really enjoy using it and i see that if you are so good in making desktop utilities, may i suggested that you should move in other territories, multiple screen support

basically, the core of this software is to enable the taskbar on the second desktop, which i dont know why microsoft doesnt have it in win7, and other gimmick features suh as move and snap screen to other monitor.

i owned 2 portrait desktop and the height of each is 1920.
I can tell you that i have never came across a program that deal with this correctly.
even the multiple desktop software that i used still have the problem with the second moitor,
but dexpot so far doesnt seems to have any issue with that, even its dealing realtime 3d plugin

if you can succesfully making the multiple desktop utilities with dexpot virtual desktop incorporated, I for one will definately buy it. also, i believed that many other will feels the same as this will be a new genre of utilities that no one has ever implemented as well.

thought?
sept

Sebastian
Developer

Re: one of the best virtual desktop but it can be even bette

Postby Sebastian » 19.05.2010 23:33:49

:dex:,

what about Ultramon or zBar?
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Postby Guest » 20.05.2010 01:31:32

i have used ultramon and doesnt really like the interface and the way it behaved, currently im satisfy with the displayfusion but it does crash quite often and again, no problem ever come close to offer the virtual desktop utilities.

imagine the dexcube effect on both screen : )
it is just a suggest but i really do hope that you implemented it.

ps. i might give zbar a try, thank you for you suggestion!

sincerely
sept

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 20.05.2010 03:07:46

I would jump in here with a query.

There have been many Virtual Desktop softwares over the years, many have come and gone, or have even been abandoned.
All of these without fail have never been able to operate on all screens in a multi-monitor environment, at least not natively.

Could you explain better what is at issue here?
What may be the software limitation, or is it a Windows limitation?

There has never been a VD software to overcome this limitation, although your comes the closest with the third party solutions. Why is this not obtainable natively through any Virtual Desktop software?

Postby Guest » 20.05.2010 03:48:22

i would imagine that if microsoft were to implement this multi screen, they would have get it right in the first go, but you know them, they like to leave room for 3rd party developer

have you use one of this program? the best one that i came across sofar is displayfusion. look neat, got most function right, but as it isnt natively support by window, it come with many limitation or bug.

the task bar that any software made, isnt by window,which mean they go through all sort of trouble just to make it look or function the same, so you have to imitate the tab, the animation the start menu, everything!, and this is where the problem came from.
ocationally, you wont just use internet browser to do thing, sometimes you play fullscreen game, other time you use virtual desktop other ppl.

sometimes, they lose focus, sometime the taskbar is gone (even now displayfusion dont regcognise the dexpot virtual desktop so it disappear when switching to other screen)

oh, and i dont understand why the fullscreen doesnt work on multi screen natively after years and years of developing windows7. if anyone found a solution, please let me know

for the VD part? what do you mean? microsoft just choose not to make it so that a company like dexpot could do it
it seems the best so far. and the new version, so far, is alredy better that the native mac's VD so i dont really have comment on that

i dont think there is ever a software limitation on anything. demands is the most important thing to keep any company alive. which i dont really understand, why dexpot is giving this away for free, is this like a final beta or just some opensource/tryout project?

sept

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 20.05.2010 04:09:35

Apologies....I should have been clearer :oops:
The questions were aimed at the Admin here.

I use the native tools that come with nVidia products for my desktop, but I only use Dexpot on my laptops as this is where I am multi-monitor deficient, so unfortunately I am not a lot of help in the way of suggestions.

I find you suggestion to be a legitimate one, so after many years and several VD softwares....I am forced to ask the questions.

So I am hoping the programmers can give us a better answer as to the difficulties surrounding this issue, as it has always existed and there is not a VD software that has broken this barrier, or that a user has not asked for the Multi-Monitor solution.

I am beginning to thing that it is just not possible, but I would appreciate a better understanding as to "why", and hopefully the folks here can supply an answer, even if in a technical manner.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 20.05.2010 23:03:11

:dex:
sgtevmckay wrote:There have been many Virtual Desktop softwares over the years, many have come and gone, or have even been abandoned.

True. Including some promising open-source solutions (Virtual Dimension, Vista VDM) and lots of crappy shareware ones that pop up every other month (MoonValleySoft Multiple Desktop and Sondle Virtual Desktop Assist are only the latest examples). Then again, others have been around forever and are still being maintained (goScreen and VirtuaWin come to mind).

All of these without fail have never been able to operate on all screens in a multi-monitor environment, at least not natively.
Could you explain better what is at issue here?

Kind of depends on what you mean by "operate on all screens". There are two aspects of what we usually consider multi-monitor support. One is having the various Dexpot interface components take into account the non-primary monitors. This includes showing the full-screen preview and Dexcube animations on all screens, showing the contents of all screens in the "Desktop Preview", and so on. There are no technical issues involved here, only historical reasons (Dexpot has its root in a project started back in 2001, where multiple monitors were far less common than they are today), laziness, and lack of a development machine with a second monitor.

The second aspect is making desktop switching independent of screens, so that you can e.g. switch from D1 to D2 on the first screen, while the second screen remains on D1. Again, this is technically feasible. But in addition to the issues mentioned above, you now have the problem of creating an intuitive, usable interface that makes such a feature actually worth the effort.

gamofun

Postby gamofun » 05.06.2010 08:40:25

If you use multiple monitor system, I recommend you to try Actual Multiple Monitors (http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/). It is a most powerful multiple monitor management utility that helps to gain maximum performance in multi-monitors environment.

Actual Multiple Monitors adds taskbar to second display and the second taskbar has all features of main taskbar like Start button and tray area with notification icons.

Actual Multiple Monitors also has new window controls specially designed for a work with multiple monitors: additional button in each window's title bar to move a window instantly to any monitor or maximize it to entire desktop.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 05.06.2010 09:03:01

:dex:

If you use Actual Virtual Desktops, I recommend you try Dexpot (http://dexpot.de/). It is a most powerful virtual desktop management utility that helps to gain maximum performance in just about any environment.

Funny how your ISP is located in the very same city as Actual Tools... :D

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 05.06.2010 09:05:05

Indeed....LOL

I was just catching that myself :lol:

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 05.06.2010 09:08:18

uh, actual title buttons works fine for me as well. http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php ... windows-7/
Best regards (wave)

rojares

Postby rojares » 08.03.2011 19:02:05

I tried Actual Multiple Monitors with dexpot but it has the sam problem with taskbar as the other programs. Namely that the extra taskbars disappear when changing to another virtual desktop.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 08.03.2011 19:29:57

the UltaMon taskbar does not. As well as the Actual Multiple Monitors taskbar if you set then taskbar's window class to =ignore in your (my)wechsel.ini.
Best regards (wave)

Return to “Feature requests”