Different windows on different desktops

Everything concerning Dexpot in general.
equatorlounge

Different windows on different desktops

Postby equatorlounge » 13.03.2013 07:57:39

Hi everyone:

How do I make different windows appear on different desktops ?
Say for instance, I want all browsers on one desktop, all my open mails in the next desktop.
And when I 'alt-tab' the applications, it switches among desktops to go, for example firefox when I was just on microsoft outlook.

FYI: I'm using the latest Dexpot on Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks for reverting..

I tried searching for this option on various parts of the forum maybe I'm not using the right words to search so I apologise beforehand ifever that topic already has a question that was already answered by someone else !

equatorlounge

Re: Different windows on different desktops

Postby equatorlounge » 17.03.2013 08:02:01

lol maybe I wasn't clear I wish someone could explain how to make different windows appear on different desktops, just like in MAC as a concrete example. When I dndrop windows 'a' to desktop 2 and, while being in desktop 1 and 'alt-tabbing' window 'a', I immediately get redirected to desktop 2 > window 'a'

Hope I got this clear as a picture in everyone's head because, for a while, i can only see ppl viewing and not reverting, may then I thought maybe I wasn't clear enough so here goes !

Hope I get a response soon. And if there was like a tip of the day, I would have activated instantly in order to learn something new from this amazing software

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 17.03.2013 14:20:38

:dex:

How do you make different windows appear on different desktops? By opening them on different desktops. Start application A. Application A is now on desktop 1. Switch to desktop 2 (press Alt+2) and start application B. Application B is now on desktop 2. Switch back to desktop 1 (Alt+1) to get back to application A.

If you want to get an existing window to another desktop, you have to "move" it. Open the Full-screen preview and drag the window from the current desktop to the desktop you want it to be on. Or right-click on the window's title bar and select "Dexpot > Move".

If you want an application to always open on a certain desktop, go to "Assign applications".

If you really want to Alt+Tab between windows on different desktops, read this thread.

Baci

Postby Baci » 27.11.2013 15:50:08

I'm having a similar issue.

win7/64 bit
Dexpot 1.6.10,2373

I used to be able to open a browser window on desktop 3 and have it stay there while I switch to desktop 4. On desktop 4, there was no instance of the browser open at all, I could spawn a whole new browser window and it would be discreet to that desktop. I could close it and there would be no instances of that browser open on that desktop, I could return to the original desktop and my browser would still be open. Now when I start up a browser window in a desktop, it's active (but minimized) on all other desktops.

I absolutely love Dexpot, it allows me to be significantly more productive but this issue has impact on my workflow.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer

Return to “General discussion”