New Internet browser on each desktop?

Everything concerning Dexpot in general.
mleahy

New Internet browser on each desktop?

Postby mleahy » 19.04.2013 00:32:42

So I have read some of the other questions, but I couldn't find an answer.

Say in desktop 1, I have google chrome open. I then switch to another desktop (say 2) and google is already open and on the same site. How can i stop this?

Is there a way to make the desktops work independent of each other?

Thanks -Michael

Sebastian
Developer

Re: New Internet browser on each desktop?

Postby Sebastian » 22.04.2013 10:01:49

Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

vessy

Postby vessy » 26.08.2013 23:00:10

Hi, I have the same issue like Michael "Is there a way to make the desktops work independent of each other?" I already run the program like administrator, but still have problem mainly with Excel files. I want to have 4 desctops and in every one of them to have different excel files in use. I managed to do that when switching to "run as admin" and restart the dexpot and stoped copying already running excel files in the new desctop. But I have problem with csv files now. When I open a csv file for example in desctop 3, it opens, but opens with it and some of the xls files from other desctop. And I can't stop that. Any help?!
P.S. I read through the forum but still doesn't find any solution :(

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 27.08.2013 13:38:14

:dex:

Try setting the option "Settings > Plugins and Extras > Behavior of windows on other desktops" to "Do nothing".

vessy

Postby vessy » 27.08.2013 14:12:21

Hi Patrick, I tried that ( a few times) and it actually do nothing, I mean that it don't allow me to open excel file in no other desktop. I guess that I need to set up the options to work for what I want but for now I couldn't do that ... may be I have to make up some rule ... I don't know.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 27.08.2013 14:47:09

:dex:,

works for me with the option Patrick mentioned. I have '1.xlsx' open in Desktop 1, '2.xlsx' in Desktop 2, '3.csv' in Desktop 3. Tried that with Excel 2013 and Windows 8. Anything else we need to know? Why would you run Excel elevated?
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

vessy

Postby vessy » 27.08.2013 15:01:12

Ops sorry forgot to mention :) I am using Win 7 64bit and Excel 2007 and working mainly with .xls not the new xlsx. I make it to work for xls just fine, but csv is not fine ... It don't make sense for me ... if it works with xls it should work the same and for csv ... I just couldn't figure out from where the problem is ...
I want to use it that way cause I want to organaize my work ... every different desctops would be for different task. For every task I need a few programs ... for most of the task need same program but with different content. That's way I need different desctops to behave separately from each other.

vessy

Postby vessy » 27.08.2013 20:16:15

I think I found solution!!!! :D For my pc options csv files were associated with excel as default program. I change that and set up notepad as default program for csv files. After that in dexpot I assigned notpad for "all desktops", and option "Settings > Plugins and Extras > Behavior of windows on other desktops" to "Do nothing". And for all test I made it works just fine :)
It's a little bit strange for me (for now) because I am used to open csv directly in excel, but it is not such a deel. To open csv in excel just open new excel worksheet and File/open/filename.csv :)
Thank's for the help :) For now I have no other issues with dexpot :)

maurogiacomin

Postby maurogiacomin » 12.09.2013 09:32:18

Hi all.
I got some problem while (try to) configuring dexpot.
I use win7 and chrome, and i need one different browser windows in each desktop
Exemple: desktop 1 > webmail; desktop 2 > ecommerce admin; desktop 3 > news, and go on...
I (think i) follow all the suggested operation, but that's no way to work!
- run as administrator...
- Settings > Plugins and Extras > Behavior of windows on other desktops to Do nothing..
Other idea? What can i do?
Tnk 4 help.
Mauro

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 12.09.2013 15:27:53

Actually, the "suggested operation" is this: Go to Desktop 1, start Chrome, wait a few seconds, go to Desktop 2, start Chrome, go to Desktop 3, start Chrome. You should now have three different Chrome windows, one on each desktop.

Could you please explain what exactly isn't working?

maurogiacomin

Postby maurogiacomin » 12.09.2013 17:00:30

hi patrick, thanks for your answer.
this is what i would like to have, but i'm not able to have this situation.
could you tell me exactly how to set options in the program settings to obtain this?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 12.09.2013 17:07:22

That's with default settings, no need to change anything. You still haven't mentioned what the actual problem is.

maurogiacomin

Postby maurogiacomin » 12.09.2013 17:26:46

I open the first browser in the desktop A, go to desktop B, open a new browser and automatically open and goes to desktop A...
or
I open the first browser in the desktop A, go to desktop B, open a new browser and the one in desktop A come in desktop B...
or
I open the first browser in the desktop A, go to desktop B, open a new browser and nothing happened...

:? :? :?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 12.09.2013 17:48:30

How do you open the browser?

maurogiacomin

Postby maurogiacomin » 12.09.2013 18:00:46

single click in program shortcut in the start menù

maurogiacomin

Postby maurogiacomin » 12.09.2013 18:15:09

problem solved.
your last post, patrick, is the solution...
sometimes i used link in start menù, but sometimes i used link in desktop.
and the problem is in this second situation.
is possible to fix the problem also when i use desktop shortcut?

Return to “General discussion”