Desktop Manager: active desktop icon isn't refreshed

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Rick2011
Beta Tester

Desktop Manager: active desktop icon isn't refreshed

Postby Rick2011 » 14.05.2011 01:27:02

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your great product. I've tried many other "virtual desktops" software before choosing Dexpot. To make it simple, it's exactly what I was looking for. :D

But, since update to version 1.5.9, Build 1503, I've a problem with the Desktop Manager that's a bit annoying. When I switch to another desktop, the corresponding icon often remains to its current desktop index and will stay locked for all other desktop changes. To "unlock" it and force refresh, I can simply go to the parameters panel and change something like Monochrome vs Transparent or anything else. Then it works again until it locks itself again later.

I've never had this problem with the previous release (1.5.8, Build 1434).

My system is configured as follows:

- WinXP Home SP3
- Dexpot 1.5.9 + Dexcube. 6 Virtual desktops. Desktop Manager with position locked, on screen edge, vertical orientation, transparent.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards

Edit:
I've downgraded to 1.5.8, build 1434 (without reboot). But the problem now appears in 1.5.8 too... So, it might be something else or something that would be left by 1.5.9 in registry? Any idea?

Rick2011
Beta Tester

Re: Desktop Manager: active desktop icon isn't refreshed

Postby Rick2011 » 14.05.2011 22:33:50

Ok, got it!

The problem is related to the "Steal focus behaviour" of WinXP:
- HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout
- see PowerToys TweakUI / General/Focus/ Prevent applications from stealing focus

The problem is that Dexpot uncheck "Prevent applications from stealing focus" in TweakUI (eg it sets ForegroundLockTimeout to 0) when it starts.

If you manually recheck "Prevent applications from stealing focus" in TweakUI (or reset ForegroundLockTimeout to 0x30d40), chances are you'll be able to reproduce the dexpot desktop manager refresh problem.

I haven't noticed that I had the "focus stealing" problem since I've installed Dexpot. But, I should have because Dexpot was first installed on my PC on February 12th and TweakUI was installed on February 15th to solve an annoying problem I had with applications stealing the focus... :roll:

So, my question is: Is there any way to fix dexpot so that it works without changing the value of HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout ?

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Edit: Hmmm... Versions 1.5.8 and 1.5.9 both seem to work without Dexcube or with Dexcube only when MultiThreading checked...

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 17.05.2011 10:48:42

:dex:

Rick2011 wrote:When I switch to another desktop, the corresponding icon often remains to its current desktop index and will stay locked for all other desktop changes.

Please explain what this means in a little more detail.

Rick2011
Beta Tester

Postby Rick2011 » 17.05.2011 16:37:31

Patrick wrote:Please explain what this means in a little more detail.

With my configuration, the desktop manager is displayed on the side of the screen, with 6 icons numbered from 1 to 6. For the currently active desktop, the corresponding icon in the desktop manager is "selected", eg a rounded rectangle is displayed around it.

When I switch to another desktop, let's say to desktop number 2, the icon number 2 is "selected".

Now, when the problem arises, the icon representing the active desktop doesn't change. If I switch from desktop 2 to desktop 3, the "selected" icon in desktop manager remains icon number 2. The new active desktop is the right one, number 3, though.

Then, if I switch to another desktop again, the desktop manager window won't be refreshed anymore. The selected icon won't change anymore to reflect the current desktop, until I restart dexpot or simply change one of the settings of the desktop manager window in dexpot parameters (for example, transparent to monochrome).

Hope that's clearer.
Regards.

Rick2011
Beta Tester

Postby Rick2011 » 21.05.2011 21:09:39

Any idea? Have you been able to reproduce the problem?

Regards.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 24.05.2011 14:26:13

Rick2011 wrote:Hope that's clearer.

That's very clear indeed, thanks.

Unfortunately we've been unable to reproduce the problem so far. Furthermore, there has been no change to the Desktop Manager from version 1.5.8 to 1.5.9 (or, for that matter, the new 1.5.10), so it seems unlikely that the update is responsible.

Would you like to try a beta version?

Rick2011
Beta Tester

Postby Rick2011 » 27.05.2011 23:55:12

Hi,

Patrick wrote:Would you like to try a beta version?

No problem to try a beta version.

After further analysis (now using Dexpot 1.5.10 Build 1557), it seems that the problem only occurs with Dexcube when Multithreading (Dexcube options) is not checked.

My Dexcube plugin is configured as follows:

- Effekt: Würfel
- Zoom: Variabel
- Effeckte: Beleuchtung checked, Transparenz unchecked
- Leistung: Multithreading checked

- Animationsdauer:
Würfel (Minsestdauer) = 300
Würfel (Pro Desktop) = 300
Frühstücksbrett = 400
Wand und Streifen: 600
Zoom: 200

I use TweakUI to "Prevent applications from stealing focus" (TweakUI/General/Focus).

With all the above parameters, I have no problem with Desktop Manager.

Now, if I uncheck Multithreading in Dexcube, the problem will arises soon or later...

I don't know if that's related to the same problem but I've also noticed some strange behaviour with Dexcube (with or without Multithreading), which occurs rather often, which is annoying too. It feels like if Dexcube was not properly "synchronised" with Dexpot (1.5.8/1.5.9/1.5.10):

When I switch to another desktop, by clicking on the corresponding icon in the Desktop Manager window, the *2D* switching is immediate but without Dexcube *3D* transition effect. Then (may be a few seconds later), the *3D* transition occurs. During this late transition, it may also freezes a few seconds on one or both of the Dexcube Desktop "snapshot" image.
I don't remember have noticed that behaviour when using the keyboard shortcuts to switch to the previous/next desktop (but I don't use keyboard shortcuts that much).

I must add that Dexcube sometimes crashes (but not so often) during transition. It can be restarted immediately though.

So, my best guess for now is that Dexcube and Desktop Manager don't like each other...

Regards.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 02.06.2011 15:47:53

Rick2011 wrote:When I switch to another desktop, by clicking on the corresponding icon in the Desktop Manager window, the *2D* switching is immediate but without Dexcube *3D* transition effect. Then (may be a few seconds later), the *3D* transition occurs.

Strange. I'm not sure how that's even possible... :denk:
Let me know if you have the same problems with the beta version.

Rick2011
Beta Tester

Postby Rick2011 » 16.06.2011 00:40:03

Patrick wrote:Let me know if you have the same problems with the beta version.

No problem so far with Beta 1.5.99, Build 1622 :D

- Dexcube multithreading unchecked
- Using TweakUI to re-enable "Prevent applications from stealing focus" (Not sure that's necessary anymore?).

Regards

Return to “Support”