Alt+Tab to cycle through all running programs

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
elof

Alt+Tab to cycle through all running programs

Postby elof » 14.10.2012 01:48:49

Hi!

In Dexpot settings under "Switching desktops" I've checked the [x] Keep all taskbar buttons visible.
Great, now I always see all running programs in the taskbar, and I can go directly to one by klicking on it in the taskbar.

However, when I press Alt+Tab, Windows 7 Pro only show me the programs running in the current desktop. Usually I only run ine program per desktop, so Alt+Tab is pretty useless.
Is there any way to force the Windows Alt+Tab to cycle through all running programs?

Patrick
Developer

Re: Alt+Tab to cycle through all running programs

Postby Patrick » 14.10.2012 16:36:55

:dex:

No, but there is a Dexpot feature called "DexTab" for this purpose: Settings > Controls > Hotkeys > Dexpot components. The task switcher works like Alt+Tab but shows all windows from all desktops and the desktop switcher is an Alt+Tab for desktops. The default hotkeys are Win+Q and Win+W.

elof

Postby elof » 15.10.2012 23:40:25

Time will tell if this old dog can be taught to use another key-combo than Alt-Tab. (I've been using Windows since Windows for Workgroups 3.11) :D

Is it not possible to make the builtin Windows Alt-Tab to cycle through all programs that are shown in the taskbar?
I.e. add another checkbox:
[x] Keep all taskbar buttons visible
[x] Let Windows Alt-Tab cycle through all buttons (programs) in the taskbar

(it could probably be grayed out until the "[x] Keep all taskbar buttons visible" is checked)

elof

Postby elof » 27.12.2012 13:21:21

Patrick wrote::dex:

No,.

I'm just curious... Why is it not possible to either

a)
override Alt+Tab to show the DexTab instead of builtin Windows task switcher?

or

b)
let Windows be aware of all apps, running in all desktops, so that the builtin Alt+Tab cycle through them all as usual?
Apparently it is possible to let Windows be aware of all apps so they can be visible on the taskbar, then why don't Alt+Tab automatically know about all those apps?

elof

Postby elof » 13.02.2013 21:38:18

bumping this question :)

elof

Postby elof » 13.02.2013 22:02:08

I just now found a new (for me) feature in Win7: win+tab
This flips through a graphical snapshot list of all open windows.

I.e. an alternate to the old alt+tab.

Now a third question:

c)
When pressing win+tab, Win7 let me flip through all running apps.
If this function can see all running apps, then why can't alt+tab also see all of them but only the ones on the local desktop?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 13.02.2013 23:04:11

Go to "Settings > Plugins and Extras > Debugging > Advanced" and enable the option "Leave tokenized windows enabled". This should cause all windows to be visible in Alt+Tab.

elof

Postby elof » 15.02.2013 18:27:36

Thanks, Patrick!
Seems to be working fine!

redannick

Postby redannick » 13.03.2013 15:29:36

This is great - I've been looking for ages for a windows desktop switcher that will keep alt-tab with all programs across desktops (and on the taskbar). This is a similar workflow to osx spaces now. Thanks!!

tez

Postby tez » 16.03.2013 19:44:19

This is very exciting! I love Dexpot and my only gripe was the lack of alt-tab functionality. I went to enable the setting mentioned above by Patrick, and sadly I cannot find it!

I am running the latest Dexpot (1.6.0-2101RC). I am right clicking on the system tray icon, then settings. Following that I am going to "Plugins & Extras". I see "Debugging" but there is no sign of an "Advanced" button or tab!

What am I missing here...?

Cheers!

tez

Postby tez » 16.03.2013 20:00:49

Ahhhh! My mistake!

I was doing a "Check for Updates" to make sure I had the latest version. As it turns out I had a really old version. It upgraded me to 1.6.0, which I then assumed was the latest. Checking for updates then showed me 1.6.4 as the latest. After updating to that and doing one last "Check for Updates" it finally showed me the ACTUAL latest version, 1.6.7. Now I have the option visible to me.

False alarm!

Thanks!

janw-oostendorp

Postby janw-oostendorp » 11.06.2013 19:20:49

doesn't seem to work for me :(
I'm on an uptodate windows and dexpot

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 17.06.2013 15:11:56

Did you enable the option "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" (Settings > Switching Desktops) as well?

allenbina

Postby allenbina » 26.09.2013 17:14:48

Patrick wrote:Go to "Settings > Plugins and Extras > Debugging > Advanced" and enable the option "Leave tokenized windows enabled". This should cause all windows to be visible in Alt+Tab.

theres gotta be a rep, thumbs up or something to commend this. I just found this post and it helped me tremendously. The more I dig into dexpot, the more I love it.

Return to “Support”