Dexpot and RAMDisks

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
CerebralFreeze

Dexpot and RAMDisks

Postby CerebralFreeze » 01.07.2020 03:02:01

Hi, Everyone,

Hope all are having a good day.

I wanted to know what your thoughts were on installing Dexpot on a RAMDisk. Would it make a difference in the speed of the computer and the running of Dexpot? For example, I have 18 virtual desktops and on each, I have tons of icons. I haven't counted but I probably have about 100-200 icons on most of the desktops. Unfortunately, the icons are constantly not staying in their assigned position. If I use Dexpot with less icons, this doesn't happen. So, I'm wondering if I put Dexpot on a RAMDisk, would I be able to keep all the icons I use and have the icons stay where they are? Also, would Dexpot react faster?

I also use a lot of rules and program assignments and it seems to go slow sometimes.

So, my question is would installing Dexpot on a RAMDisk make my computer run more smoothly?

*Also, would it be ok to post this same question in the General Discussion section? I feel that the developers only really check this section and users check and discuss at the General Discussion section

Sebastian
Developer

Re: Dexpot and RAMDisks

Postby Sebastian » 01.07.2020 08:46:52

:dex:,

CerebralFreeze wrote:So, my question is would installing Dexpot on a RAMDisk make my computer run more smoothly?

probably not that much as Dexpot is just calling the Windows API in many cases.

*Also, would it be ok to post this same question in the General Discussion section? I feel that the developers only really check this section and users check and discuss at the General Discussion section

We check every section. However, it's correct that we focus on the support section.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

CerebralFreeze

Postby CerebralFreeze » 01.07.2020 17:34:55

So, I guess it hasn't been tried yet. Maybe when I have time, I'll try to do it and let you, guys know what happens. Should be interesting!

Sebastian wrote::dex:,

CerebralFreeze wrote:So, my question is would installing Dexpot on a RAMDisk make my computer run more smoothly?

We check every section. However, it's correct that we focus on the support section.

samml

Postby samml » 16.09.2020 14:06:09

[quote="CerebralFreeze"]So, I guess it hasn't been tried yet. Maybe when I have time, I'll try to do it and let you, guys know what happens. Should be interesting!

[quote="Sebastian"]:dex:,

[quote="CerebralFreeze"]
So, my question is would installing Dexpot on a RAMDisk make my computer run more smoothly?[/quote]

[quote][i]*Also, would it be ok to post this same question in the General Discussion section? I feel that the developers only really check this section and users check and discuss at the General Discussion section[/i][/quote]
We check every section. However, it's correct that we focus on the support section.[/quote][/quote]

Good day CerebralFreeze
could you share the outcome of your experiment because I am planning to do something similar

CerebralFreeze

Postby CerebralFreeze » 18.09.2020 23:53:45

Hi, Sammi,

I put Dexpot on a RAM drive and it definitely seems to be much smoother. I used to have slight glitches when I accessed things like Configure Desktops, Assign Applications, and using the Window Catalog but the RAM drive got rid of all that. Everything moves at lightning speed now. Developers have remarked that it wouldn't make a difference to their software but a RAM drive has improved the speed of everything I put on it. Everything is so lightning fast. It's pretty amazing. I think everyone should create one. Also, I'm not sure why someone hasn't created a robust RAM drive software that doesn't glitches.

I'm using SoftPerfect now which glitches a bit when you try to create images or try to dismount images/drives. From my research, I don't think there is a complete RAM drive software that's has been updated in the past 10 years. There are recently programmed RAM drive software but they are far from complete. For example, I think OSFMount is a great recent program but it's very far from a complete program. You can't automatically mount an image at bootup. It won't automatically save changes. So, why would anyone ever use a RAM drive if it's not automated?

One thing I was worried about was the time for the image to get copied into RAM. My RAM drive image is about 6 gigs so I thought it would slow down my boot up time but it seems like I can log in just as quickly as I could before. Maybe it's because once things like Dexpot is loaded up on the RAM drive, it doesn't slow other things down anymore. I have no clue. All I know is that my computer is much faster than it was before. It's pretty cool.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I'll try to answer any questions you have. If you use a different RAM program, please let me know how it goes. I don't like how SoftPerfect glitches when I open up its GUI. I'd prefer to try something else.

If you're just starting out, one advice I could give you is that make extra copies of your images. I didn't do that and I would ruin my image several times until I got the hang of it. I had to start all over each time and make another image from scratch which takes a while. (You have to copy the install folder of each program, create a hard junction for each folder, etc.)

Also, to make it as fast as possible, opt to do things like don't select hard drive emulation, disable superfect/prefetch, format in exFAT, make it removable, and directly save everything on the RAM rather than utilizing hard links/junctions.

samml wrote:
CerebralFreeze wrote:So, I guess it hasn't been tried yet. Maybe when I have time, I'll try to do it and let you, guys know what happens. Should be interesting!

Sebastian wrote::dex:,

Good day CerebralFreeze
could you share the outcome of your experiment because I am planning to do something similar

Return to “Support”