Dexpot startup order

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
traycerb
Beta Tester

Dexpot startup order

Postby traycerb » 13.04.2009 20:35:21

When Dexpot starts up automatically with Windows XP, where is that command set? And how can I see what (if any) command line options Dexpot is using when starting?

I don't see Dexpot in any of my Windows "Startup" folders (and I checked AllUsers and my current Windows login name).

The reason is, I have some Dexpot rules which apply for an app, but they only work when Dexpot is loaded *first*. Currently, when XP starts, the rules do not work. However, if I just exit and restart the other app, the Dexpot rules work correctly.

The only way to (truly) specify the XP startup order is via a batch file (http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archi ... 45926.aspx), so my plan was to invoke Dexpot there.

Patrick
Developer

Re: Dexpot startup order

Postby Patrick » 13.04.2009 21:36:10

:dex:

traycerb wrote:When Dexpot starts up automatically with Windows XP, where is that command set?

In the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, without any command line switches. This key is also mentioned in the first comment to the Old New Thing post you referred to. :wink:

The reason is, I have some Dexpot rules which apply for an app, but they only work when Dexpot is loaded *first*. Currently, when XP starts, the rules do not work. However, if I just exit and restart the other app, the Dexpot rules work correctly. The only way to (truly) specify the XP startup order is via a batch file, so my plan was to invoke Dexpot there.

Even if you can fix the startup order, the programs won't necessarily finish loading in the same order, which also affects the behavior of the rules. Your best bet might be to use the desktop startup feature of Dexpot (Configure Desktops). Entries using the "at Dexpot startup" event get executed near the end of the initialization phase of Dexpot.

traycerb
Beta Tester

Postby traycerb » 13.04.2009 22:37:26

Patrick wrote:
traycerb wrote:When Dexpot starts up automatically with Windows XP, where is that command set?

In the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, without any command line switches. This key is also mentioned in the first comment to the Old New Thing post you referred to. :wink:

ah. i wasn't sure if that was the only place startup programs went.

Patrick wrote:Even if you can fix the startup order, the programs won't necessarily finish loading in the same order, which also affects the behavior of the rules. Your best bet might be to use the desktop startup feature of Dexpot (Configure Desktops). Entries using the "at Dexpot startup" event get executed near the end of the initialization phase of Dexpot.

Didn't know about that. I think that will work better than making a batch file.

Good to find another cool thing about dexpot. i've recently been using the rules to kill an annoying skype popup, and just found that the rules option that exempts invisible windows from the rules. maybe i should stop raving about dexpot :D

traycerb
Beta Tester

Postby traycerb » 07.04.2010 09:47:35

Patrick wrote:Even if you can fix the startup order, the programs won't necessarily finish loading in the same order, which also affects the behavior of the rules. Your best bet might be to use the desktop startup feature of Dexpot (Configure Desktops). Entries using the "at Dexpot startup" event get executed near the end of the initialization phase of Dexpot.

I never got this to work correctly. (to refresh: trying to get Dexpot to run a program at startup and then run a rule on the program) Any ideas?

I know dexpot is launching the program on startup because my software exists on my first virtual desktop, but the rules (to copy to all desktops) don't act on it. I know the rules are setup correctly, because if I run the program manually afterwards, Dexpot copies it to all my desktops.

Not a big deal, just curious if there are any ideas floating around out there.

JO7

Postby JO7 » 18.05.2014 23:32:29

traycerb wrote:I never got this to work correctly. (to refresh: trying to get Dexpot to run a program at startup and then run a rule on the program) Any ideas?

I know dexpot is launching the program on startup because my software exists on my first virtual desktop, but the rules (to copy to all desktops) don't act on it. I know the rules are setup correctly, because if I run the program manually afterwards, Dexpot copies it to all my desktops.

Not a big deal, just curious if there are any ideas floating around out there.

My guess is I'm a bit late. . .

Anyway, I got this to work once. I just checked the "Apply rule automatically" box. That seems very simple though; I'm not a beta tester so there might have been something going on with the beta version you were using.

Return to “Support”