Excel loses focus after desktop switches

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Jim Davis

Excel loses focus after desktop switches

Postby Jim Davis » 15.07.2010 18:39:20

I've had this problem with Excel and dexpot for a long time now.

After a random number of desktop switches, an Excel ActiveX window (custom VBA programming) loses the ability to be selected with the mouse. The window is there and updates properly , but can't be activated. I have to close the process and restart it to regain control.

Is there something I could try to prevent this from occurring?

Jim Davis

Re: Excel loses focus after desktop switches

Postby Jim Davis » 16.07.2010 06:56:23

I should add that I 'hide' the main excel window, leaving only the ActiveX windows visible. Don't know if this is an issue or not.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 16.07.2010 12:09:02

Hi, :dex:

what versions of Excel, Windows and Dexpot do you use?

Jim Davis wrote:I should add that I 'hide' the main excel window, leaving only the ActiveX windows visible. Don't know if this is an issue or not.

Well, does the problem still occur when the Excel window is not hidden?

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 18.07.2010 06:12:35

Window 7 Ultimate
Excel 2007

Dexpot 1.5.4 build 1212

Problem has existed for some time , not just recent DExpot versions.

I never run this particular custom app with the Excel main screen visible, so I am not 100% sure it is related to that. I suspect not, but will run it with the main windows unhidden to see.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 19.07.2010 22:20:26

Ran with Excel man windows NOT hidden , and didn't see the problem.

Is there something you can do to prevent the problem when its in the hidden state? Looks like something random, because I can switch desktops many times before the issue crops up.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 20.07.2010 03:03:31

Spoke too soon. It took a while but eventually the child windows lost the ability to be selected with the mouse.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 23.07.2010 04:16:47

?? Any idea why this is happening. I am assuming its dexpot related, but not certain. This is the only app(Excel) I have this particular problem with

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 28.07.2010 16:10:06

Well, any help here?

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 28.07.2010 16:32:56

Patience friend :wink:

This issue is not forgotten

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 29.07.2010 17:27:27

Not forgotten, but not reproducible either. Could it have something to do with your VBA app?

Maybe try adding the following to the Exe section of the wechsel.ini:

Code: Select all

excel.exe=move

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 06.11.2010 06:26:17

Still have this annoying issue. Very few problems with Dexpot (running the latest build 1394) but this one won't go away. Happens every day . Since it only seems to happen randomly after 'x' numver of desktop switches, I assume there's something that can be repaired.

I understand you probably can't duplicate this on your machine, but is there any chance of fixing this. A userform should not lose the ability to be activated by the mouse. In order to close the program , I have to call up the Dexpot window manager and tell it to close the app, which does work as it should.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 10.11.2010 23:05:45

Did you try the suggestion from my last post?

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 12.11.2010 06:12:57

Yes, I added that line to the ini file long ago.

What would cause the Userform windows to randomly lose the ability to be 'selected' by the mouse? They continue to display correctly, and show only on the desktop they are assigned to . Just can't be clicked and brought into focus. I get a system 'bell' sound when clicking on them.

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Postby CircleDock » 12.11.2010 19:41:36

Jim Davis wrote:Yes, I added that line to the ini file long ago.

What would cause the Userform windows to randomly lose the ability to be 'selected' by the mouse? They continue to display correctly, and show only on the desktop they are assigned to . Just can't be clicked and brought into focus. I get a system 'bell' sound when clicking on them.

Any chance that you have updated Dexpot since adding that entry? The reason being that "wechsel.ini" is overwritten whenever you update the program. To ensure it survives updates, place the entry (same syntax exactly) in a new file, "mywechsel.ini".

Mark

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 16.11.2010 04:59:06

Yes, I made sure the overwritten file was updated to include the .
excel.exe=move

It gets a little weird under Win 7 X64, as the actual ini file that's used is located in the "VirtualStore" directory. I created a mywechsel.ini as you suggested.

Before doing anything today, I ran the program all day, many desktop switches as usual, and didn't have the problem. It's very random.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 21.11.2010 21:05:53

Jim Davis wrote:What would cause the Userform windows to randomly lose the ability to be 'selected' by the mouse? They continue to display correctly, and show only on the desktop they are assigned to . Just can't be clicked and brought into focus. I get a system 'bell' sound when clicking on them.

Does your app use message boxes or other modal windows that could somehow be lost somewhere?

mikeunderwood

Postby mikeunderwood » 27.12.2010 22:28:56

Patrick wrote:
Jim Davis wrote:What would cause the Userform windows to randomly lose the ability to be 'selected' by the mouse? They continue to display correctly, and show only on the desktop they are assigned to . Just can't be clicked and brought into focus. I get a system 'bell' sound when clicking on them.

Does your app use message boxes or other modal windows that could somehow be lost somewhere?

I have the same problem, if there are any log files that would help let me know.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 28.12.2010 13:53:55

Please describe the problem you are experiencing.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » 16.06.2011 05:45:01

Still having this annoying problem.

Is there no way to figure out why this is happening?

Happens every day, though my Excel app has been running all day today and the userforms are still selectable. Unusual actually.

Is there something about userforms that are 'sensitive' to desktop switches?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 21.06.2011 17:32:47

Have you tested whether the problem occurs with every userform or only with your app in particular?

Jim Davis wrote:Is there something about userforms that are 'sensitive' to desktop switches?

Unlikely. They are actually very similar to the VB6 forms used by Dexpot itself.

Return to “Support”