Dexpot NOT IN SYSTEM TRAY, no matter what I do

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
NickV5

Dexpot NOT IN SYSTEM TRAY, no matter what I do

Postby NickV5 » 15.04.2011 03:24:19

When I first got dexpot it worked great and I loved it. however for some reason I thought it just quit loading because it was not in the system tray, however in searching I found it in the proccesses, and could close it, re run it and again nothing in the system tray. I found out by accident that I can use Alt-1 and Alt-2 to switch between two desktops, but I only have the two, and I cannot get to the manager, so I can't control anything. I have uninstalled/reinstalled it at least a dozen times, still no change from that described. I am running a 32bit machine with 4GB of ram so there sould be enouth memory, and my OS is Windows XP Pro - 3. Any help would be appreciated because I think it is a great program (or thought it was while it was running) and it is frustrating to not be able to run it any more.

NickV5

Re: Dexpot NOT IN SYSTEM TRAY, no matter what I do

Postby NickV5 » 15.04.2011 17:17:09

I trieed it and Yes/NO, unfortunately. It works fine and shows the icon in the corner, but if I close Dexpot, or reboot, I am back to the same thing, and when I go look in appearance it shows "no icon" as selected. I did some other looking around and somewere on componets, or something, I saw something that said to set everything to the default, which makes Dexpot as it was originally, but again, on close or reboot, no icons when Dexpot run either on startup, or by selecting the program. Sorry. It works to go to the setup each time, but that is a real "pain" to have to do that every time I want to use it.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks for the try.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.04.2011 17:36:04

Try loading the "Default" profile in the "General" section of the settings dialog.

NickV5

Postby NickV5 » 15.04.2011 18:17:54

Thanks for the shot, I tried it, and same as before, I have the Icon, until either it is closed or I reboot, then the next time it is run there is no icon, and settings>appearance shows "no icon" selected. If I reselect default or another choice, same thing happens. I have tried, apply>ok, OK, --- doesnt matter. I checked the "update" and it says I am running the latest version.s

Another suggestion?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.04.2011 18:27:29

Restore the icon and exit Dexpot. Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dexpot". What is the value of the "Trayicon" entry?

NickV5

Postby NickV5 » 15.04.2011 19:36:01

If what you are looking for is in the right pane after I click on HKEY_CURRENT USER>Software>Dexpot, as you can see there is no "trayicon". Things were listed alphabetically, and this is the list from "S" to "V", and as you can see there is no Trayicon. I did not copy the values because I didn't think they would be relevant since the one you wanted doesn't exist.

StatistikLaufzeit
Tools 1
Tools 2
Tools 3
Tools 4
TransparenzwertManager
Uninstaller Sprache
VorschauAutoSiiart

Thanks for putting up with me, and sorry to be a problem.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.04.2011 19:46:20

Strange... Again using the Registry Editor, right-click on the "Dexpot" folder in the left pane of the window, select "Export" and save it to a file somewhere. Then post the .reg file here or send it by email.

NickV5

Postby NickV5 » 15.04.2011 20:21:15

file was sent to <info@dexpot.de> which showed up by clicking the link. Also sent a log, as well.

Thanks.

I have a Dr's appt and will be away for a couple of hours.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.04.2011 21:05:50

Ok, there may be something wrong with a system component ("OLE Automation"). Try installing the following package: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en

I would also suggest checking the system for viruses and other malware.

NickV5

Postby NickV5 » 16.04.2011 01:54:24

I did both -- ran the scan (there were a few tracking cookies), then installed the Microsoft program. Reran Dexpot and the behavior is exactly the same as before. With Default and desktop number, both disappear and it goes back to no icon on close, or reboot. I also happened to click the desktop manager, and found out that it does absolutely nothing. Copernic Desktop Pro is still dead, so I am going to uninstall it and reinstall it (and hope I can find the key, if I need one)

Sorry that didn't work, I guess I'll have to be happy with alt-# to switch desktops, and if I want anything else, open it with the start button while it is open.

Thanks for trying to solve my problem.

Nicik

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 16.04.2011 14:58:54

Please copy the attached Dexpot version into your Dexpot installation folder and see if it makes a difference.

dexpot.exe
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 240 times

selden
Beta Tester

Postby selden » 16.04.2011 15:08:32

Nick,

You don't mention which anti-virus scanner you used. Unfortunately, the modern malware plague is such that individual anti-virus products typically find only about 45% of them. You might want to consider trying the free scanners available the competition just to be sure. Comodo, Malwarebytes and BitDefender, as well as the traditional companies like Symantec and McAffee provide them. Booting and running from a CD helps to find rootkits that can hide from the running system.

Of course, you shouldn't download random anti-virus products from companies you never heard of before. Too many of them actually are malware packages which will thoroughly infect your system with keyboard loggers, rootkits and botnet clients so that only a complete wipe and reinstall can eliminate them.
Selden

NickV5

Postby NickV5 » 17.04.2011 18:25:01

Yes/No/Yes/No/I DONT KNOW. . .

As far as the scan, I have been using STOPzilla for the last week or so, prior to that I used PC Security Suite. They (whichever) runs in the background constantly. I also scanned with malware bites and SuperAntiSpyware, also.

I downloaded and installed the new version and "Pop" I had the Icon. Looked fine, When I right click all of the menu choices are in German so I have no idea what they are. but it was there. I could open and close it boot and reboot and it was still there, whenever installed. THEN, I clicked on the desktop manager. I got the four window boxes, and couldn't get rid of them. I colosed, re ran it and it still had the four boxes, and no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of them, I couldn't do anything by going to START like before, because it doesn't appear in the Start list, anywhere. I tried to uninstall it and it was not in the Add Remove Programs list anywhere. I was stuck with the four desktops in the corner. I then thought about reinstalling an earlier version, so I installed the last version I had over then newest one, and was able through the dropdowns on START to get to uninstall Dexpot, and when I uninstalled that version It got rid of the other one. I reinstalled the newest one, and it still gives me the icon, but acts crazy.

THEN, I double clicked with the left button and it gave me error 53 Unable to find Dexpot.dll or something like that, the drive ran for a while and then I got a bigger error message that Dexpot had run into some problems and had to close, and whatever I was working on, would probably be lost. I got the same messages when I left clicked on the second or third item in the dropdow that shows up when you right click. I don't know what I clicked on, bercause it was in german, so I am just letting you know it happened, but I don't know what it was.

The new version seems to work better than the other one, but it still gets a little crazy at times, and since it is not in the start menu, or anywhere else that I can find, I have to RE Run it everytime I want to start it, so I don't know about that. . .

I hope these comments are of some use, to you, It's an improvement, but it still isn't playing as nicely as it could, or I think that it should.

Thanks for your help.At least by reinstalling I have something that is pretty workable, but english menus would be nice (Maybe Ill go to one of the translation sites and see what I get, and then write a note to put on the side of my monitor.

Nick

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 17.04.2011 20:16:22

I suspect you're running the new version outside of a Dexpot program folder. Install the latest release version. Then download the file attached to my previous post and save it to C:\Program Files\Dexpot, overwriting the dexpot.exe file already there. You can then run Dexpot using its regular entry in the start menu.

NickV5

Postby NickV5 » 17.04.2011 22:04:25

You were absolutely right. . . by the time that I had downloaded the file I had deleted dexpot, so I really didn't have a Dexpot folder, and completly misunderstood what you were saying for me to do, and I was running it from the place where I had downloaded it. Dexpot appears to be running fine now, I have only tested a few things because I am going to have to leave in a few minutes, but left double click shows all four desktops, the menu choices in the dropdown on right click is in english, the icon is where it is supposed to be, and it is listed in the "Start" listing -- so maybe that problem is solved, now to try to get copernic reinstalled and working (but I am going to wait a few days for that to see that all else is OK, first.

Thank you for all of your patience and help!!!!

Incidentally, I have seen references to Dexpot Pro, but can't seem to find any information on it, can you point me into the right position to see what it is/does. . . after being such a pain, I figure I should be paying for something.

Thanks Again,
Nick :ok:

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 18.04.2011 20:57:57

:dex:,

NickV5 wrote:Incidentally, I have seen references to Dexpot Pro, but can't seem to find any information on it, can you point me into the right position to see what it is/does. . . after being such a pain, I figure I should be paying for something.

http://order.dexpot.de
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

NickV5

Postby NickV5 » 18.04.2011 23:13:22

When I get Dexpot Pro, will I need to install it, can I keep what I have, and just put a registration number in somewhere, or what. I'd hate to loose all that we have accomplished. From looking at the Order page, it looks like there is no difference between the pro version and the version I have currently, is that correct? Also, will I have to pay for updates in the future? Since I only use it occasionally and I am just a retired individual, and considering the exchange rate, with the way the US economy is going, I don't want to have to keep paying. . . possibly I could order a copy, however, and not install it -- just so that you all get some compensation for my being a pain in the A _ _ with my problems.

Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it.

Nick

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 20.04.2011 16:14:01

If you don't intend to use Dexpot commercially, then there is no need to get a license for the Pro version.

If you like, you can donate whatever amount you feel comfortable with: Donate with PayPal. Or just recommend Dexpot to a friend... :wink:

Return to “Support”