Window activation with taskbar buttons always visible

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Floatharr

Window activation with taskbar buttons always visible

Postby Floatharr » 01.08.2012 10:59:25

Hello. I have a problem and a request.

I've searched through google and these forums for an answer, and I only found one answer that was not directly related to the problem I have. I know when "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" is enabled, it makes sense for clicking on the buttons to switch to the desktop regardless of what behavior settings you have configured. Otherwise the functionality of the taskbar would be inconsistent and feel broken. The problem is when I have a pesky application that likes to activate itself without request seemingly randomly forcing me to another desktop. Without all taskbar buttons visible this is not a problem because I can configure this application to be ignored through "Assign applications", but with all taskbar buttons visible the exception is not respected and Dexpot becomes unusable. At this point my options are to stop using that piece of software, or keep my taskbar buttons hidden to allow the exception to take place.

As it is now, "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" seems to break a major part of the configurability of Dexpot, and this is not communicated as intended behavior in any way in the software interface or any of the documentation. Allowing the user to create exceptions for misbehaving software is vital to everyday usability. Therefore I request clarification as to whether it is possible to differentiate between an application activating itself and activating it through clicking on the taskbar button. If it is possible, it would make sense for Dexpot to be updated to respect user configured window activation behavior through "Assign applications" and the global setting, while keeping the current consistent taskbar behavior. If not, I request the wording of the labels of the options to be revised, or for a warning to be attached to the "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" option and its documentation to indicate that application rules and assignments cannot be respected for example due to limitations set by the operating system, to avoid the confusion that the counter-intuitive behavior of this setting has.

I'm fairly sure I haven't made a mistake, but if I have please feel free to correct me. Thank you for your time, and for creating this magnificent piece of software.

Return to “Support”