Unreal Engine 4 Editor Causes Slow Desktop Switching

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
errmalt

Unreal Engine 4 Editor Causes Slow Desktop Switching

Postby errmalt » 21.10.2014 20:50:03

Hi,

When Unreal Engine 4 Editor is open, desktop switching is very slow. It takes some 6 - 10 seconds for all windows to appear on my fairly powerful PC.

My specs:
Intel i5 2500k
Nvidia 560TI
4GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

Please try to fix this. Thanks.

EDIT: I didn't test this on other comparable PCs (I don't have other PCs powerful enough to run this software). It would be great if some of you could reproduce this or tell me a fix if it's just on my end.

errmalt

Re: Unreal Engine 4 Editor Causes Slow Desktop Switching

Postby errmalt » 24.10.2014 17:10:18

I just found out that this also happens with only the Unreal Engine Launcher running. This makes me strongly believe that the issue isn't that Unreal Editor is a too heavy and eats up resources, but something else, as the Launcher is just a lightweight application that launches the editor, handles updates and so on.

Maybe the issue is that these applications use non-standard window frames?

Please respond so I can be sure that you know about this issue and are working on it.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 24.10.2014 18:21:07

:dex:

Try this. Create a text file called "mywechsel.ini" in your Dexpot installation folder. Add the following lines to the file and restart Dexpot.

Code: Select all

[Exe]
insert_exe_name_for_unreal_editor_here.exe=move

[FAQ] What is the mywechsel.ini file capable of?

If this doesn't help: Is it possible to reproduce the problem with anything that can be downloaded and installed for free?

errmalt2

Postby errmalt2 » 24.10.2014 21:36:42

The "wechsel" trick might have sped it up by a tiny amount, but not enough to make desktop switching fast enough to be of any use.

You can download the Launcher for free, whose symptoms aren't as bad, but it definitely shows up a lot slower than other windows (and makes desktop switching way slower, just closing the Launcher window makes it instantaneous on my PC).
https://launcher-public-service-prod06. ... taller.msi

As for the whole Editor, anything is free if you look in the right place :) The cause is justified, as it's only for testing. Also, it's free for students.

I suggest at least testing the Launcher application, as there is definitely something up with their programs (even this light one) working badly with Dexpot.
When you install the Launcher, you will get to a log in screen and even without logging in, you can see the symptoms.

Thanks

errmalt2

Postby errmalt2 » 24.10.2014 21:42:17

By the way, I switch desktops with keyboard shortcuts in classic, non expose-like, way.

errmalt2

Postby errmalt2 » 15.11.2014 23:49:03

Have you looked into this some more since the last time I posted?
Are you any closer to solving the issue?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 18.11.2014 12:38:35

I have. The problem is simply that Unreal Editor responds very slowly to requests like hiding/showing its windows. There is currently no way to fix it.

Return to “Support”