Conflict /w Circle Dock causing problems /w Dexpot Catalogue

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
thebunnyrules

Conflict /w Circle Dock causing problems /w Dexpot Catalogue

Postby thebunnyrules » 20.01.2015 03:49:01

Hello, awesome Dexpot devs. Hello, Dexpot community.

I've been trying Dexpot for a few weeks. It seems to work well but it's coming into conflict with my app management software, CircleDock (http://sourceforge.net/projects/circledock/). The problems in Dexpot arrise when I run CircleDock with too many applications on it. From my count it seems to be around 45 objects on Circle Dock (either links or dock folders). If I run more then one instance of CD, the combined objects in all the instances can't go over 45. If I have 43 objects, everything works. If I have 46 in CircleDock, things fall apart in Dexpot land.

The symptoms are that Dexpot is no longer able to render all the Window previews opened in the catalogues. The more apps I pile onto Circledock, the worst the rendering is: it goes from one or two windows missing in the catalogue to only one window out of say 10 open ones across all desktops being rendered.

It's as if Dexpot is missing the needed resources yet the resources available in my PC in terms of RAM, virtual memory and GPU power are vast compared to both Dexpot's and Circle Dock's resource requirements. Using Sysinternal's ProcessExplorer to see how much resources are being used by CD, I found that it requires only: 4-12mb of RAM and 80-90mb of Virtual Memory.

Is it possible that there is a conflict with the hooks being used by circle dock and dexpot?

Are there some Dexpot error logs that I can lookup that would help in figuring out what's happening? Do you have any other troubleshooting suggestions?

Here are some of the things I tried:

- deleting my Dexpot prefs, exit and restarting.
- trying different version of CD. 0.9.1 to 1.56.
- tried disabling/turning off all hotkeys and rules, mouse-events, sevendex

I'm going to try:
- turning off all other background apps and try again.
- uninstalling Dexpot and re-installing it.
- maybe upgrading to my GPU card's latest driver. Been procrastinating on that. Maybe it's time... :)

I know 45 apps seem like a lot but I have alot of custom written AHK scripts that I use for my work that I absolutely need to have quick access to them. Sizing down my dock is a non-starter for me.

ion-christopher

Re: Conflict /w Circle Dock causing problems /w Dexpot Catalogue

Postby ion-christopher » 05.09.2016 02:08:57

Obviously you have a shortage of video ram. This varies by kind of machine. That said there may indeed be a bottle neck in software somewhere. It may be in the library code somewhere unbeknownst.

I suggest being happy with the list you get under DESKTOP MANAGER - I find that the most useful and reliable. Video is always about 100X more demanding. (But then an audio-interface would take so much longer!) Guess it's text, then!

Return to “Support”