How to place different icons on each desktop

Frequently Asked Questions
Patrick
Developer

How to place different icons on each desktop

Postby Patrick » 26.08.2008 09:58:45

:dex:

first, please read the Quick Start Guide. It covers the basics of the Dexpot icon customization.

1. Some icons are visible on all desktops. How come?
    Icons stored in the following folders are visible on all virtual desktops. They do not appear in 'Desktop Windows' (that's just how Windows handles them):

Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 (and server versions):

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Windows XP/2003:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

2. Where does Dexpot save additional icons?
    Open the Explorer. Copy & paste the following string into the Explorer's address bar and hit Enter:

%USERPROFILE%

Windows XP/2003:

%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Dexpot Desktops

You'll see several folders 'Desktop 1 to 20'. The folder named 'Desktop' represents your original desktop folder.

3. Some icons are visible on all desktops. How do I start with a clean Desktop 2?
    The public desktop folder is hidden by default. Copy & paste the following string into the Explorer's address bar and hit Enter:

C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Windows XP/2003:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

Afterwards, move all icons from your public desktop folder to your user's desktop folder using the Explorer's address bar again:

%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

4. How do I recover my original desktop?
    Make sure you have Dexpot installed. Enable icon customization in 'Settings > Switching Desktops'. Switch to your original desktop. Disable icon customization again.

Don't have Dexpot installed? Go to your desktop folders (see second bullet point above), right-click your currently activated desktop folder, select 'Properties', then 'Path' and hit 'Restore default'.

Icons still missing? Right-click the desktop, click 'View > Show desktop icons'.

Return to “FAQ”