Add/remove spaces on the fly/show all spaces on the side

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
daniel0731ex

Add/remove spaces on the fly/show all spaces on the side

Postby daniel0731ex » 31.08.2013 08:56:30

Motivation
Sometimes, I don't really need to use multiple workspaces. I simply like the expose-like feature for window management. I also like to access dexpot functions via just hot corners, but I prefer not to have more than one of them. This means that I would like to be able to manage all my windows with just the full-screen preview feature. However, there are two mutually exclusive problems:

1. With two as the lower limit as the number of workspaces, unless I set the full-screen preview to zoom in by default, the exposed windows are quite a bit too small to be comfortable.

2. If I set the full-screen preview to zoom by default, the layout of spaces is very confusing. What do I mean by this? Basically, if I have four workspaces with identical wallpapers, it is impossible to tell my current space's absolute AND relative location with respect to the rest of them. It is very irritating when the spaces practically shuffles every time I change a space in this view.

This forces me into having to set up two separate hot corners for two different features, one for managing windows and the other exclusively for switching windows. This breaks my workflow.

Proposal

By order of priority and effectiveness:

1. Include an option to "always show all workspaces in zoomed mode". Essentially, all of your workspaces are lined up on the side regardless of which space(s) you have zoomed in current view. The zoomed workspace(s) is/are essentially duplicated into the zoom view, thus it is very easy to tell the absolute position(s) of the spaces you have in view simply by comparing them. Obviously, there are people who might prefer it differently, so I'm just asking it to be a checkbox option that shows up in the "Full-screen Preview" tab.

2. An interactive means of the addition/removal of workspaces in full-screen preview. The user can already add/remove them on the fly through hotkeys, so I know the architecture is there. Why not add an interactive means that greatly enhances the experience? Perhaps also include an option that allows the user to select whether middle-clicking on a workspace will close it or zoom it?

3. Allow having only one workspace present. Sometimes I don't want to have multiple workspaces, but the only way to do that is to turn off dexpot, which then means I cannot use the window management feature. Why not allow the user to have just one workspace? Or even a allow the user to set a custom minimum/maximum limit on number of workspaces they can have, so that they would not accidentally open or close too many workspaces?

4. Allow the user to choose which side the unzoomed workspace are placed. Currently, with the "Start Full-Screen Preview with current desktop zoomed" enabled, the animation for the current workspace is a little jarring in that it zooms out and then quickly shifts to the right. If I could set it so that the spaces are lined up on the bottom or top, the animation would be a much smoother zooming-out, in my opinion.

5. Show names of workspaces in full-screen preview. Just a little nicety thing to have.

Return to “Feature requests”