Testing report

Everything concerning Dexpot in general.
vodoomoth

Testing report

Postby vodoomoth » 26.09.2008 14:37:16

Hi all,
I have been using dexpot 1.4.1, build 532, for around two weeks now. I have noted two things that bug me. I report them here:
1- the speed issue: I just wish things went faster when switching desktops. I am using a 1440x900 laptop with a 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor. But I still have to wait up to nearly two seconds before the destination desktop appears. Since I also use RocketDock, I removed all icons from the desktops... which lead to a substantial reduction in time when switching desktop (less than 1 second now) or displaying the fullscreen preview. Yes I do use different wallpapers, but I still think that there is more to gain in terms of speed.

2- the focus issue: sometimes, when moving from desktop x (with Opera as active app) to destop y (with Winamp as the only app), I realize that the focus is lost: Winamp is not activated. Back to desktop x, none of the apps in the taskbar is activated. This is my only gripe, but it's a serious one. I also realized that when switching with the shortcuts from x to y then back to x, the focus is kept to Opera! If I do the switching (even in part) with the mouse, the focus is always lost... although Winamp is never activated no matter whether using the keyboard or the mouse. I think Dexpot should keep track of which window handle has the focus when leaving a VD so as to restore the focus to that window.

Hope this will help improve Dexpot.

Patrick
Developer

Re: Testing report

Postby Patrick » 30.09.2008 17:50:50

:dex:
vodoomoth wrote:Yes I do use different wallpapers, but I still think that there is more to gain in terms of speed.

So, did you try with the same wallpaper on every desktop? Just to see how much of a difference it makes.

vodoomoth

Postby vodoomoth » 30.09.2008 20:58:46

Patrick wrote::dex:
vodoomoth wrote:Yes I do use different wallpapers, but I still think that there is more to gain in terms of speed.

So, did you try with the same wallpaper on every desktop? Just to see how much of a difference it makes.

Done the test right now: blazingly fast when no wallpaper at all is set (I mean no desktop has a wallpaper). But definitely slower when the wallpaper is different on each desktop. Midway between these extremes when the wallpaper is the same.

metz

Postby metz » 01.10.2008 16:24:40

HI
I had this problem but then found My screen resolution for each desktop didn't match. The program had to change the resolution for each one. Once I matched them all up to what my windows resolution was, everything worked great. Real fast now!
Good luck

vodoomoth

Postby vodoomoth » 01.10.2008 20:39:48

Metz, thank you for your insight.

On my system, custom resolution is inactive and, in desktop configuration, all desktops share the same resolution, which is is 1440x900. You brought me the idea that 3 of the 4 wallpapers are 1024x768. I'll change them to the screen resolution and see what happens.

metz

Postby metz » 02.10.2008 06:05:48

Try it my friend. I ment more matching up the "32 bit x 75 Hz" part, but whenever the program has to change a wallpaper to a different resolution or size, it will be a bit slower. Let me if you get it because mine is quite fast and I belive you have a better computer than I.
All the best
( You should post this in the other section if it doesn't work, That's where the smart guys are lol)

vodoomoth

Postby vodoomoth » 02.10.2008 14:26:50

Well, I resized the wallpapers. The fullscreen desktop preview is much faster now, nearly as much as "with no wallpaper and no icons at all". No speed gain at switching... same lags as when I complained in a previous message.

Return to “General discussion”