Firefox Issues

Everything concerning Dexpot in general.
Sphynx

Firefox Issues

Postby Sphynx » 26.09.2010 12:08:37

Noticed some bugs with your software:

Having firefox open in one multiple dektops can result in them merging into desktop 1. Triggers for this range from maximising and minimising windows to using firefox plugins (some of which can see through desktops e.g. foxtab sees tabs from ALL desktops). Also, closing merged tabs results in original version of tabs in other desktops being shutdown as well.

I've also noticed similar issues with more core components of windows e.g. file explorer.

Otherwise, props for the great software devs. Fix those bugs and this program will be truly awesome!

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Re: Firefox Issues

Postby CircleDock » 26.09.2010 23:38:37

Unlike other browsers, eg Chrome, Firefox is a single-instance application and although you may think you're starting multiple instances - one in each Desktop - you are, in fact, only opening new browser windows within the same instance in memory. That's why your plug-ins "know" about windows on other desktops, for example.

So I'm inclined to view this not as a bug rather as a restriction but I'm interested to see what Sebastian or Patrick say about this.

Mark

selden
Beta Tester

Re: Firefox Issues

Postby selden » 27.09.2010 05:21:02

I think one could persuade Firefox to run separate instances if one were to select a different profile for each Desktop. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test this because my copy of Firefox v3.6.10 ignores the -P qualifier. However it does seem to work for SeaMonkey, which has profile management in its Tools menu.
Selden

Return to “General discussion”