apps jumping to wrong window and/or disappearing

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
mikeunderwood

apps jumping to wrong window and/or disappearing

Postby mikeunderwood » 12.10.2011 19:58:12

Version 1.5.99 Build 1722
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

I have this problem where the application window will just disappear it's there in my task bar but it will not show on my desktop. Other time it moves to a new window even through it is assigned to one all ready and when I go click on it or try and move it back I get moved to the that window with nothing on it. Clicking on show desktop a couple of times might cause the window to show back up but not most of the time.

Let me know what you need to help you resolve this issue.

Mike Underwood

johnmesh

Re: apps jumping to wrong window and/or disappearing

Postby johnmesh » 15.11.2011 22:06:52

Have the same problem. It's quite annoying, actually.

The problem: windows cannot be opened / viewed anymore, not even after Dexpot has been closed (most of the time: restart required).

The reason (I guess): It all happens as soon as I switch between many windows (on different desktops) very fast back and forth, esp. if a new windows has been created automatically (a pop up, install, whatever). I guess there is an lower time intervall limit, below which Dexpot cannot follow events (UI) safely anymore. I should mention that this only happens if I switch between windows between different desktops, not on the same desktops. Since switching between desktops takes quite a long time, the problem might be somewhere there. (If the developers maybe greatly reduce the response time between desktop switches, the problem might not occur anymore?!)

Thanks.
Really like Dexpot

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.11.2011 23:31:03

:dex:

johnmesh wrote:The problem: windows cannot be opened / viewed anymore

What does that mean exactly?

I should mention that this only happens if I switch between windows between different desktops, not on the same desktops.

How do you switch between those windows? What's your Windows version? Do you use the persistent taskbar option?

Since switching between desktops takes quite a long time

How long does it take? Shouldn't be more than a second.

MikeB

Postby MikeB » 22.11.2011 12:26:38

Same problem here (occasionally) - Win 7 32bit - persistent taskbar is active.

The tricky part with this is that it doesn't happen that often, but for me it's definitely a new 1.6 issue.

Switching to an app on another desktop (in my case generally via Desktop Preview or Windows taskbar), the desktop switches and and the app appears momentarily and then disappears. It can invariably be found on another desktop, apparently topmost and focussed but utterly unwilling to respond to mouse clicks anywhere. The icon remains on the desktop that it's supposed to be on.

Subsequent attempts to focus the app result in switching to the desktop that the icon is on but the window is not. It's like the window-rect is off-screen, but without knowing how Dexpot works that doesn't explain why it's visible but unclickable on another desktop.

As far as I can recall, keyboard input works correctly but I wouldn't swear to that being the case.

I usually kill it with the close button on the windows taskbar preview.

Also; it's not limited to one app - it's happened with several different ones.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 30.11.2011 15:22:27

MikeB wrote:Same problem here (occasionally) - Win 7 32bit - persistent taskbar is active.

Does the problem still occur when the persistent taskbar option ("Keep all taskbar buttons visible") is disabled?

MikeB

Postby MikeB » 03.12.2011 11:51:32

Patrick wrote:Does the problem still occur when the persistent taskbar option ("Keep all taskbar buttons visible") is disabled?

Based on a couple of days of use - so far no. However it was only happening occasionally so it's difficult to state categorically that it isn't going to happen.

zazakazza

Postby zazakazza » 18.12.2011 13:51:54

I have the same bug occasionally and I don't use persistent taskbar feature. Happens with some of the windows after switching between desktops (and likely when it's done fast). I use Taskbar pager mostly and it's the only enabled plugin. Taskbar button is present and behaves like usual but window is still not visible. Seems like sometimes Dexpot loses windows in limbo between desktop switches.

woomera

Postby woomera » 23.01.2012 17:34:25

same issue here, persistent taskbar enabled.
windows 7 x64

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 23.01.2012 17:53:28

Any hints on how to reproduce the issue?

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”