Flashing taskbar icons after desktop switches

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
bemymonkey

Flashing taskbar icons after desktop switches

Postby bemymonkey » 14.10.2011 11:30:17

Hi there!

I've been using 1.6 for a while now, and I've come across something of an annoyance when switching desktops:

Some apps, when they're open on the desktop you're switching to, seem to want to steal focus when you switch to the desktop on which they're open. Prime example: Matlab... when I switch to Desktop #2, which has Matlab open but minimized, the Matlab icon in the taskbar blinks like crazy until I open it. Happens with a few other apps too, though...

Is there any way to get rid of this behaviour? Or is it maybe a bug?

If necessary I can make a video.

BTW: Thanks for this great piece of software. :)

smacdav

Re: Flashing taskbar icons after desktop switches

Postby smacdav » 21.10.2011 17:47:41

This has always happened to me with past versions of Dexpot, so it's not new for the beta.

bemymonkey

Postby bemymonkey » 28.06.2012 13:19:19

Nobody else? This is starting to drive me insane :p

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 28.06.2012 13:22:00

:dex:

Windows version? How do you switch desktops? Using the Taskbar Pager plugin?

Snapman

Postby Snapman » 22.07.2015 19:05:08

It looks like this thread hasn't been accessed in a few years, but I am having the same issues with flashing taskbar icons under Windows 7.

First, and most importantly, I love Dexpot! :D I use it every single day at work and at home. Now to the issue at hand...

The issue seems to revolve mostly around Java-based apps, but I have not proven this beyond a reasonable doubt. It doesn't matter how you switch desktops -- Taskbar Pager, Desktop Manager, Alt + <Desktop Number> -- the taskbar icons still flash and will not stop unless clicked on.

It is most noticeable when an app does not have focus on a Desktop, the Desktop is switched, and then switched back to the Desktop with the offending app. The taskbar icon flashes incessantly until you click on it. In my case, I have my taskbar at the top of the screen, so it covers up the title bars of all maximized applications until I pay attention to it.

I have attached a video for reference, because describing this kind of behavior only helps so much. I have fiddled with all kinds of registry settings to manipulate application focus behavior. Right now, apps will not steal the focus, but the taskbar icons of some applications never stop flashing until they are clicked on.

Thanks for any and all help.
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Dexpot Flashing Taskbar Icons.mp4 [ 3.03 MiB | Viewed 13760 times ]

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”