Bug: disappearing programs/windows

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
listerite

Bug: disappearing programs/windows

Postby listerite » 30.11.2011 02:30:05

If I have programs running on other desktops and I hibernate, sometimes those programs become inaccessible. They're still running, but the windows are invisible (they're in the taskbar, but not on any desktop). I can sometimes call them up with "Maximize" command from the Task Manager, but nothing is clickable. Also, if I try to close them from the task manager, a pop-up window from the program will usually pop up (i.e. do you want to exit?) and this is clickable (and the program then closes without issue).

I have noticed this when running Sticky Notes and VMWare Workstation 8. (I have also had issues with Adobe acrobat, but I can't reproduce it.)

Running Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, dual monitors, Dexpot Version 1.5.99, Build 1776

Patrick
Developer

Re: Bug: disappearing programs/windows

Postby Patrick » 30.11.2011 15:25:47

:dex:

Is the persistent taskbar feature enabled (Settings > Switching Desktops > Desktop elements > Taskbar > Keep all taskbar buttons visible)?

listerite

Postby listerite » 02.12.2011 22:32:50

Yes, the persistent taskbar is enabled.
The icons of the programs running do appear in the taskbar, but when I click on them, nothing happens. I can make it happen with any program, such as Excel 2010, and even System Task Manager. (Task manager requires a system restart, because I can't call a new instance of task manager to force-close the other one)

listerite

Postby listerite » 03.12.2011 19:16:08

I tried playing around with it for an hour and a half, and I can reproduce the problem >20 times, but I still can't pin it down precisely. It takes ~2 min to get it to happen.

-I have tried using readily available windows programs, and it seems to be general (Windows Task Manager, Excel 2010, Google Chrome)
-I can reproduce the problem using a single monitor.
-I don't think maximizing has to do with it, as the problem also affected Task Manager, but I'm including the process.
- I think the problem lies with switching programs using the taskbar, and perhaps it has something to do with Aero preview?

1) Open up 2 windows of Chrome in Desktop 1, maximize them both.
2) Minimize both windows. (I think this is important)
3) Open another program in Desktop 2, (it can be another window of Google Chrome, or another program like Excel; let's use Excel to keep it simple), maximize it.
4) Hover over the Chrome icon (running minimized in desktop 1) in the taskbar and bring up an Aero preview of one of the windows, then hover over the preview. (This should give a full-desktop preview, which should feature your minimized Chrome window)
5) Click on the preview to switch to the minimized Chrome window in Desktop 1.
6) Try switching back to Desktop 3 using the taskbar program that is running in Desktop 3 (e.g. click Excel).
7) Now if you go to switch back to the Chrome window in Desktop 1 (using the taskbar), it should not switch, and you may find it has disappeared.

Hopefully, this allows others to reproduce the problem...I'm now going to go study for my final exam that's in 2 days.

Good luck,
Mike

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”