Desktop Assignment

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
biltong

Desktop Assignment

Postby biltong » 22.06.2012 11:26:51

Using Dexpot 1.5.99 .2003 on win 7 (x64) and I had a couple more questions, this time regarding desktop assignment. Everything else seems to work great, but I was wondering about the following:

1) Is there any way of ensuring that an application opens on the desktop it was started from ? For example, I open an application on Desktop 1. The application takes a little while to open, say 15 seconds. I move to Desktop 2 whilst its opening. The application opens on Desktop 2 and Desktop 1. The new Desktop Assignment feature has a setting to assign an application to where it was started from. I assumed that this would keep the application on the desktop it was started from even if I moved to another desktop before the application had time to open. But this doesn't seem to be the case. Is there any way of doing what I want ? i.e. only have the application open on the desktop it was started from ?

2) I have an application which I run in desktop 1. This application produces a popup after a variable length of time. I move to desktop 2 and open another instance of the same application. Again, this instance of the application produces a popup after a variable length of time. I remain on desktop 2. The popup from the instance of the application running on desktop 1 appears on desktop 2. I'd prefer that the popup for the instance of the application running on desktop 1 remains on desktop 1. i.e. the popup remains on the same desktop as the instance of the application that produces it. Is there any way of doing this or will popups always occur on the current desktop ?

Hope that makes sense.....

Thanks !

biltong

Re: Desktop Assignment

Postby biltong » 23.06.2012 10:47:19

Sorry, when I said Desktop Assignment, I meant Application Assignment !

Anyway, I've been doing a bit more investigation and I think that I can use it to solve my 2nd problem with the popups :) Still testing......

If I use the Application Assignment feature and set the Application I'm interested in to "where started", then any popups are sent to the desktop I started the application instance in.

This works for applications that produce a new process each time you start it (e.g. putty, where a disconnected popup now gets moved to the desktop containing the corresponding putty session).

For things like firefox which only produce a single process (firefox.exe) regardless of how many browser windows you open, if you set firefox to "where started", then it keeps any firefox popups on the desktop that firefox started on. However, if you now try and start a new browser window on a different desktop, the new browser window gets moved to the desktop where you originally started firefox. So you'd be restricted to only having firefox browser windows on one desktop which in my case, isn't what I want. Luckily, I'm not too concerned where firefox popups occur, so will leave it with the default settings.

Now if I could just figure out issue 1 :?

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”