Dexpot doesn't start properly on Windows 7 x64

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
sgtevmckay

Re: Dexpot doesn't start properly on Windows 7 x64

Postby sgtevmckay » 26.06.2010 04:05:53

Patrick or Sebastian:

Where and how does Dexpot save these settings?
Where is that file located?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 26.06.2010 20:28:34

The regular version of Dexpot stores its settings in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dexpot. The portable version uses a file called "portable.ini" located in the same folder as the Dexpot executable.

br123

Postby br123 » 02.08.2010 05:14:35

Hi all,

Sorry for not responding for a long time. I stopped using Dexpot for awhile, then came back and saw that there was an update (1.5.5). I installed it and many of my issues in this thread have been fixed. Dexpot loads and starts correctly, and Dexcube and Taskbar Page load as well.

A few problems still: the master password does not get saved, so even though some desktops have password protection enabled, nothing happens, and even after a password is set I am not prompted for a password. Also, the names assigned to each Desktop also vanish after Dexpot is closed, either manually or by Windows shutting down. This second problem is a minor annoyance but is still something I would like to have fixed. Notice that password protection (the checkbox) setting is saved. I don't know about desktop rules though - haven't tried them.

Taskbar Pager originally took up way too much space in my opinion, so I modified some registry keys to give it two rows and make it smaller, and now it looks much much better. This should be an option for configuring Taskbar Pager - right now it is inconfigurable without going into the Registry.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 04.08.2010 13:34:39

Hi, :dex:

br123 wrote:Also, the names assigned to each Desktop also vanish after Dexpot is closed, either manually or by Windows shutting down.

what are the desktop names you're trying to assign? Does it work with the default "Desktop 1", "Desktop 2", ...?

Notice that password protection (the checkbox) setting is saved.

Which checkbox?

Taskbar Pager originally took up way too much space in my opinion, so I modified some registry keys to give it two rows and make it smaller, and now it looks much much better. This should be an option for configuring Taskbar Pager - right now it is inconfigurable without going into the Registry.

We'll add a small configuration dialog in the next version.

br123

Postby br123 » 10.08.2010 17:54:12

Nope, the default names don't stay either. I modified them directly in the Registry to what I wanted them to be, and the first time starting the program afterwards it worked, but after shutting it down and restarting they were gone again.

Checkbox: under "Configure Desktops", Properties tab, there is a checkbox next to the words "Password protection". This checkbox state is saved (checked or unchecked) and is unaffected by starting or quitting the program. The password itself is not saved though.

Good to hear about the configuration option. =)

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 10.08.2010 20:05:48

:dex:,

would you please register to our forum first, so we can properly offer you the latest beta?
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

br123
Beta Tester

Postby br123 » 17.08.2010 18:06:18

Sure, I have just registered. Thanks for the support.

yanleiberg

Postby yanleiberg » 09.03.2011 16:46:49

I am experiencing same problem as this topic, the Dexpot halts on the splashscreen, by clicking on the splashscreen it disappears but Dexpot keeps running in background and doing nothing.
I tried all the solution provided here but none of them works.

I kept trying, but never succeed to let Dexpot work again even by closing all other programs to avoid any potential software conflict.

Finally, when I failed to extract some files from Winrar, I reallize that I have change my H: drive to D:, where my system temporary folder is stored, all my TEMP/TMP variable now was pointing to a non-existing folder.

I changed all the variables immediately by right clicking on My Computer->Properties->Advanced System Setting->Tab Advanced->Environment Variables, I have modified all TEMP/TMP for user/system to H:\TEMP before, which should be D:\TEMP now.

Jawohl!! Dexpot works fine now, of course all settings were lost with tons of uninstall & reinstall.
But it works.

I just hope Dexpot will give some useful information to let user to determine more easily what the problem is. (Winrar did gave in this case.)

Great Software and best regards.

Return to “Support”